About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Simple, But Not Ignorant Faith

God wants us to have simple faith, but not simplistic, childlike, but not childish.

Some say we should keep our walk as simple as possible. But the mature Christian has developed a taste for the Word and doesn't balk at the deep things of God's Word. Augustine has said, we believe in order to understand, and our faith is enhanced as we gain a better understanding. Our faith is growing and living like Peter says, "Grow in the grace and the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." Being negative to knowledge per se is not an option, the reason the Jews went into captivity was lack of knowledge ("For this reason, My people go into exile, because they have no knowledge," says Isa. 5:13.) We can have a simple walk with the Lord and know him in a deeper communion. Ignorance is not bliss, as they say, but knowledge and confidence are like Siamese twins that are linked together, says Charles Swindoll. "You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free," says John 8:32.

Eccles. 12 says "Much study is weary to the flesh." Well, it's not weary to the spirit, especially if God is in it according to Phil. 4:13, which says, "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Make sure were just not slothful with our minds--love God with all your mind. "Of making many books there is no end." We need scholars, though everyone is not cut out to be one so that we don't have to start out at square one and rediscover the Trinity, the rapture, the deity of Christ, or Providence.

Everyone isn't intellectual, but some are and they shouldn't be treated with contempt and become "anti-intellectual."  We are commanded to study to show ourselves approved. The commandment to love God with all our "heart, soul, and mind" is appropriate, and we should not have lazy minds. "Let us know, let us pursue the knowledge of the Lord" (Hos. 6:3).  "For I desire the knowledge of God more than burnt offering" (Hos. 6:6).

Paul says he'd rather have us not ignorant in Rom. 1:13. When it says, "Taste and see that the Lord is good," it means that learning about God makes us thirsty for more and makes us want to turn it into a knowledge of God. "Now that you have tasted that the Lord is good...." God equates ignorance with foolish men and knowledge with wise men. (Ignorance in the Bible comes from the same Latin root word as an ignoramus and agnostic, from the Greek, means the same thing.)   Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment