About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Is Apologetics For All Believers?...

"...Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have..." (1 Pet. 3:15, NIV).
"Casting down arguments, and high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God..." (cf. 2 Cor. 10:5). 

Some overly zealous believers get carried away and went on a tangent, becoming experts on the shroud of Turin or on documented near-death experiences, but the focus should be on the gospel, for it is the preaching of the cross that has the power. Don't get me wrong, every believer should know his way around the block theologically and apologetically and have a working knowledge of all basic doctrine.   It is not good to have zeal without knowledge (cf. Rom. 10:2; Prov. 19:2).

Note that doctrine is not too arcane for the run-of-the-mill believer. The man of God handles the mysteries of God faithfully.  "They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience" (1 Tim. 3:9, NIV).  But this is not for everyone because it takes a certain aptitude to comprehend some of these finer points and theories of science. We are not to twist Scripture  (cf. 2 Pet. 3:16) or to be carried about by every wind of doctrine (cf. Eph. 4:14). 

Paul tried to reach out to the eggheads of Athens and had no luck so to speak. He later said that he strove to "know nothing but Christ, and Christ crucified" (cf. 1 Cor. 2:2).  The KISS principle of keeping it simple is valid. The awesome theories of quantum mechanics and general relativity blow me away, but this is how some find God.

Let's not knock it just because it's out of our league! The principle is that "Ignorance is not bliss!"IN fact, "Knowledge is power" (Sir Francis Bacon, cf. Prov. 24:5).   "Where there is no vision the people perish" (Prov. 29:18).  Hosea says that the "people perish" for "lack of knowledge" (cf. Hos. 4:1). Ignorance leads to ruin (cf. Hosea 4:14).     Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment