About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Show Me Your Faith!

We don't need another to-do list. Works are evidence of faith, not a substitute for it. Faith is something we do, no something we have. Paul would say, "Show me your good works by your faith." James would say, "Show me your faith by your good works. The only works we are to do are the ones foreordained for us (cf. Eph. 2:10). Faith has legs; it is a verb and it must be alive and grow, not become stagnate.  "[W]ho gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works" (Tit.2:14, NKJV).

In a works system, you never know how much work is enough. You can never know you are secure in Christ or are saved eternally. Martin Luther always wondered if he had fasted, prayed, gave enough away, etc. to be saved. It is important to realize we are saved by grace alone through faith alone. But not by a faith that is alone (without works). We are not saved by works, but we are not saved without them either.

Faith and works are inseparable. They can be distinguished but not separated. What we need on this earth Christ has the power to change lives from the inside out. In his book Through the Valley of the Kwai,  Ernest Gordon tells the story of POWs in the Malay peninsula that was reduced to subhuman savagery until they find a New Testament and decided to read it-- and found out that the Word of God has the power to change lives, not just inform intellects.  Paul said, "The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love..."  (cf. Gal. 5:6).   To some it is just interesting, to others it is life-changing. James says, "I'll show you my faith by my works," while Paul says, "I'll show you my works by my faith." To sum up, we shall know them by their fruits (cf. Matt. 7:16, 20), as Jesus said. 
 Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment