About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Do We Earn Our Testimony?

If I told you that you had to earn the right to witness you might never witness, just like if I told you that you couldn't do it until you get your act together. All Christians are called to witness regardless of spiritual growth (don't ever be ashamed of Jesus). The witness or testimony that we have is God's gift to us; our "niceness" is God's gift to us not our gift to God. He is the potter, we are the clay. "...All that we have accomplished you have done for us..." (cf. Isa. 26:12). "Who makes you to differ? What do you have that you didn't receive" (1 Cor. 4:7)?

I realize that God expects us to bear witness to the world and let our light so shine before men that they may see our good works, but God the Holy Spirit does the convicting. It is the Father who draws us to the cross of Christ and we are only vessels of honor. If we were in the military we may have a "witness" to ex-service people but that is not because we earned that witness; it is because God opened the door (an open door is an opportunity). We must see it in a grace orientation. Soli Deo Gloria! (To God alone be the glory!)

There is an example in Acts 16 that tells of Paul witnessing to "anyone who will listen." Even Paul had to ask for prayer to have God open doors and make him a bold witness; much more we! Let us never discourage someone from witnessing just because we know better or are more mature--they will learn. Someone has said that the world wants to see the gospel in shoe leather--that means our life is a witness. We must be like Paul who spoke to anyone who would listen while praying for the open door.  In sum, we are witnesses for Christ whether we want to or not; it just depends on what kind of witness, good or bad.  Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment