About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

What Is Genuine Fellowship?

Our fellowship is with the Father and with the Son and with one another in Christ (1 John 1:3,7). "If we walk in the light as He is in the light we have fellowship with one another...." According to the Navigators, fellowship is on the "Wheel of Obedience" along with prayer, witnessing and Bible study. The early disciples devoted themselves to fellowship... (Acts 2:42). This is God's body-building program where we exercise our spiritual gifts. The Greek word is koinonia. By definition, fellowship is two fellows in the same ship. We must share something in common to have fellowship.  There is no fellowship with the unbeliever as light and darkness (2 Cor. 6:14).

Male bonding is not fellowship per se, but fellowship is a sort of bonding, nevertheless. "Let us endeavor to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace" (Eph. 4:3). The hobby of the 17th-century gentleman was to talk theology or what is called "God-talk" (but even this is not necessarily true fellowship, but can be merely intellectual or academic). When two Christians get together ("Whenever two or three are gathered together in my name there I am") and talk about the weather or sports it is not necessarily true fellowship. This is faux fellowship. We don't need a neutral subject to share with one another. In Malachi, the fellowship was with those who feared the Lord and spoke often with one another (Mal. 3:16).

There are some who think they are spiritual lone rangers or lone wolves. Like the Simon and Garfunkel song "I Am A Rock." It says: "I have no need for friendship, friendship causes pain" and "A rock feels no pain and an island never cries...." I like the Beatles' lyrics better: "I get by with a little help from my friends." We are all in this thing together and need each other as one part of the body needs another.

The purpose of fellowship is manifold: to edify the body, share honesty, touch base, have good company, keep in touch, be accountable, be a companion, share burdens, have someone to talk to in time of need; we are not to have a bed of roses or a rose garden and not to be comfortable, but be comforters (2 Cor. 1:4).

In sum, we are social creatures and should always strive to reach the "rock higher than [us]." "For iron sharpens iron: so a man the countenance of his friend"(Prov. 27:17).  Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment