About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Take Your Stand!...


NB:  Satan plays mind games and uses psychological warfare and mind-bending drugs are his favorite way to entice the innocent even through legitimate means of psychiatrists. But according to Eph. 6: "We do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the world powers of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavens."

Sometimes we may think the pastor has gone off the deep end, gone nuts, or seem crazy to use inflammatory words. This is a judgment call and, if he is, he may be under divine discipline if he is depressed (this is just a deduction)--just like what happened to Nebuchadnezzar when he went mad.

The Spirit of Truth resides in all believers but no one has a monopoly on the truth and anyone can make an error of judgment, especially if he is spiritually in authority. The fear of God is to hate evil and heresy is evil. I have found out from experience that God even loves crazy people, so we are not to be judgmental and think they are beyond hope.

"The fear of man brings a snare," declares Prov. 29:25. We should not be too timid to challenge the teaching in question. We don't want to choose the path of popularity or be a people-pleaser but seek God's approbation. This is not necessarily a bad thing but may be an opportunity: Seize the day! Luther referred to an "Anfectung" which is German for "attack" and, if we don't end up fighting Satan on his turf, it is because we are on the same side. His chief tactic is to divide and conquer and he uses brethren who sow discord (God hates this according to Prov. 6). If we have on our weapons gave us for angelic warfare, then we can take our stand ("take your stand" and "stand your ground" are from Eph. 6:13).

What if the pastor is teaching heresy or evil such as astrology and he has such power of his flock that they swallow it hook, line, and sinker? Do not compromise with evil and guard your teachings according to the Bible taking your stand. This is not just a matter of disagreeing, but whether you will tolerate evil in the church--the fear of the Lord is to hate evil. Do you want to please God or men? I know that sounds like a lot to ask but I believe there is a price to pay in standing for the truth. I would not want to share a pulpit with someone who is teaching evil. What does evil have in common with good? It seems like this is a way of being unequally yoked. Sometimes we have to let the chips fall where they may.

"If God is for us, who can be against us?" Remember, that the pastor is not your enemy because you disagree with him, but Satan is just using him and because you are invading his turf--the battle has just begun, but "the battle is the Lord's." I have been known to confront visiting preachers in my church and to let my pastor know where I stand but we agree to disagree. In the end, the truth will win out and sometimes the truth hurts; however, trust in it despite this. Where are the teachers of moral fiber who take their stands? In sum, sometimes we are our own worst enemy and we must heed the counsel of Scripture.  Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment