About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Under The Auspices Of God


You may feel that I was just lucky or that Providence was in my favor, but I don't attribute my sense of being lead by God as fortuitous or just good fortune--God was with me to teach me a lesson or two. One day I got sick and tired of my room in disarray and felt compelled to make my bed, carry out the trash, dust and vacuum to make it livable--I didn't think at the time that it was necessarily being led by the Spirit, but it was: "As many as are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God."

It just so happened that that afternoon I was visited by a survey team and I was sure glad I didn't have to be embarrassed--in fact, I was a little proud. Now we have never had a surprise inspection before, but that day we did have one and I gave God the glory that He had "saved" me and kept me out of trouble: "He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake." I have a testimony to guard and God does too!

It was important for me to see God at work on my behalf and I do not take it for granted that He is obliged to always rescue me (I could have gotten in deep trouble--most of the guys only clean their rooms for inspection and I was getting lax myself). I am now all the more conscientious to keep things as tidy as possible and not to procrastinate and to continue trusting in God who I can call upon in the day of trouble and He will deliver me (Ps. 55:22).

There is a balance between responsibility and faith and not "testing" God--in a certain vein this was my wake-up call, and I passed the test. Indeed, it was not auspicious, (some like the term fortuitous) but providential, as God led me in cooperation.   Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment