About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Friday, July 18, 2014

Orthodoxy And Orthopraxy

This means "right belief" and "right conduct" and they are both vital to a growing faith. The faith you have is the faith you show. If we are just satisfied with being theologically correct without applying it we miss the boat. Theology by itself is necessary for a sound Christian life, but it is not sufficient. It can lead us cold: Would you debate the Trinity to ease depression? Doctrine can make us grow in our apprehension of God and His Word, but the aim is to fulfill the Law by loving God and our neighbor. It can leave us cold, even if it impeccably correct. Romans 2:6 says: "God will repay everyone based on their works."

At the Bema (Judgment Seat or Tribunal of Christ for purpose of reward; cf. 1 Cor. 3:12-15) we will not be interrogated as to our school of theology or our so-called philosophy, but our works will be evaluated by fire. In my Bible study, I realize I will be under stricter judgment and must practice what I preach to be effective, but God is looking for faithfulness and He will provide the increase.

"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise and I will reject the intelligence of the intelligent" (1 Cor. 1:19). There is such a thing as spiritual pride in thinking we have cornered the market on truth or have a monopoly on orthodox doctrine. No one is infallible in the body of Christ except Jesus, the head of the body, who is the cornerstone. We all need each other but the wise and bright are not a cut above the other believers who may be simple-minded or common folk. "Not many noble" are called says, Paul. It is too easy for a brilliant expositor to "wow" his flock with his scholarship and blow them away, taking the eyes off of Jesus. Jesus was known for keeping it simple so that the common people heard him gladly.

Mother Teresa of Calcutta is an example of a saintly woman who had a simple faith and applied it to the utmost in helping the untouchables. We are not called to debate theology but to catch people and make followers or learners (disciples) of Christ. It can be fun to debate doctrine but this is not the true goal of genuine fellowship: we should strive for the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace (Eph. 4:3). Psa. 133:1 says that it is "pleasant" when brothers "dwell together in unity."

In Christ's high priestly prayer in John 17 he prays that we will be one as he and the Father are one. It quenches the Spirit to quarrel and we should agree and find common ground and that is what fellowship is: two fellows in the same ship. To sum up: it is paramount that we get our heart in the right place and apply what we know, rather than have theoretical knowledge.   Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment