About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Are We All A Success?

Modern-day psychology will tell you that self-esteem is vital and the measuring rod to go by and not to worry what people say--it's all subjective and what your own personal goals are, not what society or God says that matters.  I got news:  no one is a success at everything and we are all bound to fail at something, or we just haven't tried enough or been around the block.  Admit it:  you've probably blown it or failed at least once, but that doesn't make you a failure.  Some kids can be failures in high school and be late bloomers and succeed late in life or finally find their niche or calling and talent.  You have no right to call someone a general failure in life, but you could say they are failures at marriage, or raising kids or a business.

Look at Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings, who is a success on the gridiron, but a lousy dad.   But maybe they are a spiritual success in being prayer warriors, for instance, that can be a great servant for God.  To whom much is given, much is required;  we don't know what God expects of people--look at the widow who was successful at giving her mite!

Case in point, to get personal:  I was an exceptional success in high school and was considered one of the most likely to succeed (which I am trying to define) and my class would label me a failure now because I live a Veterans Home and have not even achieved the American dream.  But I believe I am in the will of God and all things will work out for the good (Rom. 8:28).  The Bema (Judgment Seat of Christ) will determine my level of success and worthiness and the amount of so-called reward.  You can be a success in the eyes of the world, achieving fame, fortune, and power, but fail and get no reward from God--it's all wood, hay, and stubble.

 If you fail at something, don't label yourself as a failure but that you just experimented at something that wasn't right for you.  You really haven't lived until you failed and if you've never failed, you've probably haven't aimed high enough.  They say in the Air Force to Aim High and that is a good code to live by because if you aim to be president and only become governor you can't be considered a failure, but that you just set your goals too high and should be more realistic.

Let's get specific:  We have to be realistic, like a son who is only 5 foot 3 and wants to be a football player would be discouraged and counseled into something more relative to his abilities and talents and limits.  'Nothing is too hard for [God]!"  "I can do all things [in His will] through Christ who strengthens me."  The key is not to think that you are superman and can succeed at anything, but that you find that which you can succeed and have been called to do and God will bless you.   I do not believe in prosperity theology that being a Christian means you will make a lot of money as a fringe benefit.  But God will bless your endeavors you do in His name and that He has called you to do in His will.    If you do succeed in the eyes of the world, don't let it go to your head but stay humble and give the glory to God.   We are only the vessels of honor used for His glory.

And so success is both subjective and objective. (Objectivity is true regardless of personal opinion or feeling).    Like passing a driving test you can say that you objectively failed.   But how can you say a preacher failed in his sermon without it being just subjective if the people heard him gladly and he got results--what is the criteria?  There are elements of both viewpoints.   A soldier can fail at the firing range but succeed in bivouac or CQ duty or not do so good in basic training but excel at Advanced Individual Training for his specialty at a higher level.  We can't just label people as complete failures, though some may be. In sum:   No one for whom Christ died is a complete failure, or is worthless, but is a vessel of honor for God--Let God be God and do the judging.    Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment