About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Monday, November 24, 2014

Are We Faithful to Our Church?

The issue we must face sooner or later in our walk is, "Are we to remain faithful to our church, as opposed to our Lord and our personal faith?"  Here's a case in point:  After many years and many ties to a church,  one finds out that he doesn't agree with the church dogma and it is a compromise on his faith to cooperate, where he doesn't feel he can grow in Christ according to his faith, even though he may have the opportunity to serve in that church--what is most important?

To cite an example:  My grandmother, God bless her soul, stayed faithful to one church for most of her 96 years, seeing the coming and going of countless pastors, programs, and opportunities.  I don't know whether she knew it or not, but the church had become quite liberal, theologically speaking, and I don't think she realized it (she may have felt she was just too old to start over in another church and thought maybe she could influence them more than they her).

In my own walk, I am glad I'm not where I was when I was young and knew nothing of doctrine.  It seems like I was at a different stage at each church and God had a purpose for me being there, but then called me out to move on in a spiritual promotion, as I matured. Thank God I'm still not going to the Lutheran church of my youth where I would probably be a somebody by now, but the church would be nowhere.

The issue is whether one should be in a church where he can serve, or where one can grow.  One deserves accolades for faithfulness, but not if he disregards principle or his faith to do it--his primary concern should be to grow in the Lord, his priority in service.   I believe that, if you seek to grow, the serving will come naturally, and we shouldn't tend to promote ourselves or to presume on God that he has to put us into service--He will call us in is timing. 

In the early church, there was no alternate church to go to if one disagreed, for example; one had to stick it out through thick and thin.   We recall the carnal Corinthians who split into factions, and Paul labeled that a fruit of the flesh.  Sectarianism ("I am of Paul, I am of Peter, I am of Apollos, etc.) is a sin and not in God's original design for the local church.  The Bible does teach the local body's autonomy and independence from other churches, and the individual responsibility of the believer for his own faith--he cannot say that the church told him so, and pass the buck, so to speak.

It is good to downplay denomination quarrels and not be so dogmatic about doctrines that divide--we should seek unity and not division--avoiding the Bible-club mentality.  We all need to under authority and be accountable so that we don't go off on our own tangent and get flakey. The key to doing this is to remain in fellowship with other believers and know the basic doctrines of the Scriptures as a grounding in the truth to stabilize ourselves.

We don't want to leave a fellowship for petty differences or for minor doctrines (don't major on the minors), but leave room for some disagreement--we can disagree, without being disagreeable; just don't be divisive, argumentative, or quarrelsome in the body and known as a trouble maker--keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace as Eph. 4:3 exhorts.  Soli Deo Gloria!

1 comment:

  1. I regard it as commendable when people find a church home they can believe in and remain faithful congregants for years or even life, as long as their motives were pure and they weren't just self-serving and made no compromises in the faith during the interval. Accolades to those who serve with integrity!

    ReplyDelete