About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Where Do You Get Your Strength?

We all have a crutch, whether we admit it or not, it could be a spouse, a habit, a drug, an escape, or even religion itself. No man is an "island" nor a "rock" as the song by Simon and Garfunkel goes and the words of John Donne--we all lean on something or someone in a time of stress.  We all know there are no atheists in foxholes.   Man is designed to worship God and get his strength from up above--Sir Francis Bacon said there is a God-shaped vacuum in all of us that can only be filled and satisfied with God Himself.  Ted Turner says, "Christianity is for losers."   Everyone has a god, whether they know it or not; we all worship someone or something.  However, "The name of the LORD is a strong tower, the righteous run to it and are safe"  (Prov. 18:10).

 We can all reach our potential in Christ as we tap into divine power.  "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me"  (Phil. 4:13).   "He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might, He increases strength"  (Isa. 40:29).   Yes, "Let the weak say, 'I am strong'" (Joel 3:10).  "Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this:  that power belongs to God..." (Psa. 62:11).  We have to remember that this power is at our disposal and it is not intrinsic, but extrinsic:  "'...Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD of hosts" (Zech. 4:6).

God wants all the glory and the credit, so to speak:  "You who rejoice in Lo-debar [nothing], who say, 'Have we not by our own strength captured Karnaim [the stronghold] by ourselves?'" (Amos 6:13). Truly "you have done for us all our works" (Isa. 26:12).  "Did we in our strength confide, our striving would be losing...." (says the hymn).   We must bear in mind that "apart from [Christ] we can do nothing"  (John 15:5).  I'm not against good works, just ones done in the flesh in our own power.

Until we realize the power of the Spirit in leading us and the empowerment ministry we are just plodding along in the energy of the flesh and cannot be rewarded.  All our works will be evaluated as to whether they were done in the right spirit and motive.  We must work "with all his energy which he powerfully works within [us]" (Col. 1:29).  He is able to do more than we can ask, "according to the power at work within us"  (Eph. 3:20).

In witnessing it is necessary to get the prompting and the leading and the open door of the Holy Spirit:  "And you shall receive power, after that the Holy Spirit has come upon you..."  (Acts 1:8).  "For it is God who works in you, both to will and to work according to his good pleasure"  (Phil. 2:13).  Knowing that it is God and not us is key and then we come to a knowledge of Christ working in us:  "I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection..."  (Phil. 3:10).

We don't want to be self-confident,  but God-confident and faithfully proclaim, "The joy of the LORD is [our] strength"  (Neh. 8:10).    In summation, let me quote the Apostle Paul, who went on to boast in the Lord:  "I venture not to speak, but of what Christ has accomplished through me"  (Rom. 15:18).   Soli Deo Gloria!

1 comment:

  1. "God didn't give us a spirit that is timid but one that is powerful, loving, and self-controlled" (2 Tim. 1:7).

    ReplyDelete