About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Broadcasting Your Sins/Giving Testimonies

I can't be too dogmatic on this subject because there are earnest, sincere believers who beg to differ. When testimonies are given, some redeemed sinners glorify their past to make it sound like they are the worst sinner since Paul.   I don't see any biblical precedent for this.  But they may be quoting Psalm 107:2 in the TNIV which says, "Let the redeemed of the LORD tell their story."  I don't want to hear about someone's dirty past or graphic illustrations (some people have "virgin" ears and don't need to hear your sins!);  these sins aren't fit for the mixed company or polite society.

The verse actually says, "Let the redeemed of the LORD say so...." Let them have the opportunity to speak up for Jesus and stand up for the Lord.  "Stand up, stand up for Jesus!"   God has thrown all of our sins into the depths of the sea and behind His back, never to be remembered again--why remind God of them?  Don't keep dredging them back up every time you tell your testimony.

We can tell our testimonies without getting specific and naming our sins (this opens the door to gossip and judging in the body).   We do this by describing the way our life was before Christ, upon meeting Christ, and after Christ.  (E.g.,  I had an empty, confused, aimless life until I had peace and purpose in living I found in knowing Christ as my Lord and Savior!)  I don't want to discourage someone from "coming clean" but this is more a step in redemption and salvation than in giving testimony.  We should remain on a positive note and explain how others can find Christ and know Him for real themselves--the window of opportunity or open door doesn't stay that way for long.            Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment