About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Saturday, December 12, 2015

The Bema Of Christ

"Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death unto life"  (John 5:24, ESV, emphasis added).

Paul said, "For each of us shall give account of himself to God" in Rom. 14:12.   Before that in the context, he says, "For we all shall stand before the judgment seat of God [Christ]."  For the Father has given all judgment to the Son.  Note that there are two judgments:  One for the believer and one for the unbeliever. 1 Cor. 3:13ff describes how a believer's works are judged as to their due reward--they must remain after being tested by fire!  He has appointed a day to judge the world (this is the Great White Throne Judgment mentioned in Revelation 20:11). That refers to the lost and the "books" will be opened to judge their works.  By their own words, they will be condemned--they are all hypocrites. Christians have nothing to fear of a judgment day because there is no condemnation for the believer (cf. Rom. 8:1). Our words will justify us and not condemn us!

"I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words, you will be condemned"  (Matt. 12:36-37).
The so-called "day of judgment" is the one appointed by God at the last day and is called the Great White Throne Judgment.  Christians will not be present here but at the Bema.  Note that Christians will be justified by their own words (testimony and witness) and unbelievers will be condemned by their own words and testimony.

Bema is the same as tribunal or judgment seat in Greek and Christ will judge our works and test them by fire whether they are silver and gold, or wood, hay, and stubble which will burn up (NB: There is no double jeopardy).  Our sins have been forgiven past, [present, and future, and we fear no future embarrassment of reprimand, but God is able to present us blameless before His throne with great joy (cf. Jude 24).  Many Christians try to put the fear of God in their brothers by telling them they will be judged, but God has already judged our sins and they are deleted from His memory bank, never to be brought up again.  The judgment we face as believers is to how much reward we are worthy of and how much we glorified Christ with the opportunities, resources, talents, gifts, and time that God conferred on us by grace.     Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment