About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Monday, March 21, 2016

From High To High?

We are supposed to walk "from faith to faith" (increasing in a living, saving faith) and not walk according to feeling from high to high.  Some Christians get addicted to that "just-born-again" feeling or high and seek it in their daily walk as much as possible, even paying admission at so-called Christian concerts done by professional musicians and vocalists making money off of them.  They shouldn't charge admission if led by God but only take freewill offerings.  Sincere, but immature believers think that ecstasy is the measure of faith, but it is obedience only--Christianity is not emotionalism!  Some are going for comfort, assurance, or even entertainment, and this is the wrong motive. 

Worship isn't entertainment and it isn't done vicariously as if it is a performance.  If worship is the missing ingredient in their life they need to find a church that worships God in Spirit and in truth like Jesus said in John 4:24.   We don't just go to concerts to supplement our experience in God or to find Him and they are no substitute for and a parody of the real thing.   They should find out that you cannot walk in the glow of some religious experience for long--sooner or later you need to have the faith that pleases God and come down to reality.

The Christian life is not about living on Cloud Nine or on some perpetual religious high, but learning to know God and having a relationship with Him in obedience to His will.  Growth only comes from true experience in the school of hard knocks of adversity, trials, discipline, and suffering for Christ, not religious highs.  Believers must learn that it's not about them and about Christ and not get their eyes off of Him and onto a "worship leader, which can be idolatry." 

God isn't looking for celebrities or star power, but plain folk and even the outcasts, the riff-raff, and scum of society. The seeker must examine his own heart and find out his real motive to know whether it is God's will to support such professional worship of which there is no precedent in Scripture.

In sum, we don't need a lift; however, we do need edification, though.  Emotional faith won't stand the test of adversity either.  I think Paul would say, "Show me your emotions and I'll show you my faith!" The divine order:  Fact, faith, then feeling. We love with our whole heart, including our minds and wills.    Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment