About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Sunday, May 1, 2016

I Found It!

I recall the Evangelistic Explosion campaign in the '70s from D. James Kennedy, whereas people had bumper stickers proclaiming that said, "I found it!"   Found what? would be the rejoinder they were hoping for. They would claim that they found Jesus (I didn't know He was lost)! They wanted people to look for Jesus, I guess!  (Where was He?  They were lost, not Him.)  This is so unbiblical that I shudder to decry and debunk it. 

God was found by those who were not looking according to Isa. 65:1, ESV, ("I was ready to be sought by those who did not ask for me; I was ready to be found by those who did not seek me...."), but actually God found us and we didn't find Him--He was looking for the lost sheep and sheep cannot find their way home or to the shepherd, they have no sense of direction at all.  Blaise Pascal said that he would not have searched for Christ, had He not first found him!  The song "Amazing Grace" goes:  "I was lost, but now am found!" This means we have been found by God.  "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost"  (Luke 19:10, ESV).

You tend to find what you are looking for and if you are looking for a good deal you may get one. Gold-diggers are looking for a wealthy mate to support them so they don't have to work or can come into some money the easy way.  If we want to find God we must seek Him with all our heart and soul and as our first priority.  "Seek and you shall find." (a principle of life).   It is much more valuable to have found the Lord than to have found riches or a trophy wife as some nowadays seem to be hung up on.  If you seek riches, honor, power, fame, influence, respect, or status you may get it, but you may lose your soul in the process.

Be content with what you have and let God supply all your needs and you will know Him.  If you have too much you may get comfortable and forget your God and a relationship with Him.  Job confessed that he did not put trust in gold or silver but in the Lord.  Today many put their hopes and dreams in their portfolios and 401(k)s and forget that real security is simply knowing the Lord.

Being friends with God is like friends with benefits. God is a benevolent God and there are fringe benefits to knowing Him.  "What shall I render to the LORD for all His benefits to me?"  Romans 11:35 (ESV) says, "Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?"  Job 41:11 (ESV) says, "Who has first given to me, that I should repay him?"  There are perks to knowing God and He is always looking out for our needs, but when He showers gifts, it is mainly as a test of our faithfulness, not to waste the opportunity to bring glory to God.

I once found a $20 bill on the sidewalk as I was walking home, and it just happened to be what I needed--this was a boost to my faith!  But I certainly was not looking for money even though I superstitiously pick up pennies I find (once I had found the one penny I needed for exact change at a store!).  I can remember God answering me a prayer for one single penny that I needed, and God came through because I kept on looking and didn't lose heart or give up.  God provides our needs in mysterious ways and we should never doubt His generosity, but we are all at different levels of faithfulness and responsibility. Proverbs 18:22 (ESV) says, "He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the LORD." As the Bible says, "The LORD shall provide," hence His name Jehovah Jireh (The LORD our Provider). 

Be careful what you are looking for--you may find it!  Some people are just looking for a good time and end up finding trouble all right! It has been wisely said by Jonathan Edwards "that seeking God is the main business of the Christian life."  According to R. C. Sproul, the search for God is initiated at salvation not consummated at salvation--"we do not find God as a result of our search for Him.  We are found by him."  The search is inaugurated at salvation then. Remember, God's pet peeve so to speak (Rom. 3:11) is that man is not searching for Him. Only if we search with our whole heart will we find Him (Deut. 4:29; Jer. 29:13; Isaiah 55:6; Heb. 11:6). 

In sum, it is a sad thing to gain the whole world and lose your own soul (cf. Mark 8:36), and this happens by having the wrong priority of not seeking first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, so that all these things are added unto him (cf. Matt. 6:33).    Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment