About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Saturday, July 2, 2016

Mission Impossible

It has been said that the Christian life is not hard, it's impossible.  No one can meet God's standard of perfection set in Matthew 5:48 to be perfect as our Father in heaven is perfect.  Actually, perfection is the standard, but the direction is the test.  God isn't finished with us yet and will not give up on us--we are a work in progress (cf. Philippians 1:6) and we are to do a spiritual work-out continually ("work out your salvation with fear and trembling").  We have made a commitment to Christ and surrendered the throne of our lives to Him and given Him ownership of our lives to do as the Potter sees fit. "Melt me, mold me, fill me, use me, while I am waiting, yielded, and still."  Another hymn says, "Prone to wander, Lord I feel it..."

We all have the natural tendency to wander off from the flock or backslide in another metaphor, but Jesus is the Great Shepherd who searches for us and keeps tabs on our whereabouts.  Galatians 2:20 says that the Christian life is three things:  a relinquished life; an exchanged life; and a surrendered life.  We don't imitate Christ, we let Him live through us:  it's not imitation, but inhabitation!   "Christ in you, the hope of glory" (cf. Col. 1:27).  Did we in our own strength confide, sings Martin Luther, our striving would be losing.

The only victorious life in Christ is by the power of the Spirit and being continually filled--it's not a one-time event at all.  We may need to confess known sin and be filled again to walk with Christ in fellowship.  If you say, you cannot do this or reform yourself, it's because you cannot; Christian faith is not about AA pledges, or New Year's resolutions, or turning over a new leaf, but a change from the inside out. Christ's resurrection power must transform you, and He uses the power of the Word of God and the indwelling Spirit to accomplish His good will in us. We cannot sanctify ourselves, it is a work of grace from the Holy Spirit--the Helper that Christ sent.

With the presence of the Holy Spirit within, we are better off than if Christ were walking in our midst and we are better off than the Old Testament saints, who hadn't known the gift of the Spirit.   When you realize that you cannot live the Christian life you are on your way to surrendering your will to His and letting Him have His way with you--this surrender must be renewed daily or we will fall back into sin or never mature spiritually.

We should echo Paul's words in Philippians 4:13 that says, "I can do all things through Him that strengthens me."  In Colossians 1:29 he speaks of the mighty power at work within him.  "God is at work within you both to do and to the ill of His good pleasure"  (cf.  Philippians 2:13).  God always gives us the power to do His will and even the resources and supplies necessary.  Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment