About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Friday, April 9, 2021

Why Do Some People Demand Proof For God?

 They cannot disprove God but disbelieve despite that! This is important. They assume that God can be proved (or disproved) when the Bible doesn't attempt to do it but to make Him known. The Bible assumes God from verse one. The Bible says that God’s existence has enough proof in creation to point to faith and that no one has an excuse. (cf. Romans 1:18–21; Psalm 19:1). God is spirit. The question of God is metaphysical and cannot be proved by physical evidence. God’s existence doesn’t fit scientific parameters; He is not subject to laboratory conditions.

Many people believe in things that cannot be proved. What they are trying to do is equate God’s existence to scientific scrutiny. But there is scientific evidence but not proof. The laws of evidence are different for law, history, science, and philosophy. God doesn't wish to be proved but to accepted by faith. He will not force faith. Faith is what pleases Him, not human wisdom (“For the world by wisdom knew not God.”—1 Cor. 1:21). It is logical that not believing or denying some premise doesn't make it untrue any more than believing it makes it true.

There can be no default position. Not being able to prove God doesn't mean that the antithesis is true, there is no God. Today many people will not believe anything that cannot be proved scientifically and use science for non-scientific endeavors or issues, harnessing science where it doesn’t apply—called “scientism.” You don’t have to know all the answers to believe in God. And faith doesn't mean you do, atheists don’t know all the answers either. The principle stands: “Lack of evidence is not evidence of lack.”  Soli Deo Gloria! 

No comments:

Post a Comment