About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Can't We Ever Learn From Evil?

 “Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees. to deprive the poor of the rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people.” (cf. Isaiah 10:1–2).

People condemn themselves in what they know as right and wrong for God has given all men some semblance of a moral compass or conscience (cf. Romans 2:14–15).

To beware of evil we must first be aware of it!

Evil is the privation, deprivation, parasite, and distortion of good. Nothing can be evil that was not first good. Good preceded evil: unrighteousness, lawlessness, injustice, etc. All men are evil for only God is good. God can turn short-term evil into long-term good (look at the crucifixion, cf. Acts 2:23; 4:28). God uses evil for good as in the case of Joseph and his brothers selling him into slavery (cf. Gen 50:20). He makes the wrath of man to praise Him (cf. Psalm 76:10).

There is no pure evil, but it has some “good” content, just enough to deceive. Evil doctrines of demons and heresies or false religions have enough truth to inoculate or immunize you from the real thing. False religions aren't all evil or wrong, just enough to deceive.

We see good in light of and in contrast to evil. All men have some basic knowledge of good and evil, right and wrong. Again: To beware of evil, as in their worldviews (cf. Col. 2:8) we must first be aware of it; we are not innocent but tainted and stained with evil ourselves. Only God can and does open our eyes and make us see the light (cf. Acts 14:27; 16:14). Satan has blinded the minds of them that believe not (cf. 2 Cor. 4:4).

“Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.” (cf. Isaiah 5:20).

No comments:

Post a Comment