About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Does The Question "Does God Exist?" A Fair Question?

 Isn’t it about as nonsensical as asking, “Does justice exist without a Judge?” or “Do design and order exist without a Designer?” or “Do laws of nature exist without a Lawgiver?” or “Does love exist without a Lover?” or “Do human rights exist?” or eve does “Logic exist?” or finally, “Does intelligence itself exist?” In the final analysis, is there something in the cosmos besides matter and energy? In common terms, when eating at a restaurant, we don't ask if a chef exists. Humanly speaking, if you see a design, do you wonder if a Designer exists?

God entails all of these and they couldn't exist apart from a God of love, design, laws, justice, and even the Logos (God is the Word—expressed thought— or the Logos in John 1:1). Remember, cosmos without Logos is chaos There is a reason why the framer of the Declaration of Independence said that “these truths are self-evident.

A person is free to disbelieve in God but that doesn't make Him not exist or go away. But he must realize that he has faith too, even if in science. God doesn't expect us to kiss our brains goodbye or commit intellectual suicide but we can only come to God on His terms and in sincere faith, not head first. “the world by wisdom knew not God.” Honest doubt is fair and God invites scrutiny and even says, “Taste and see that the LORD is good.” It turns out that the proof of the pudding in the eating!

I know that scientifically, you cannot prove God exists, but you cannot scientifically disprove Him either. It would be outside the parameters of science and a metaphysical, not a physical matter and endeavor. Would science even exist apart from the Lawgiver of the universe? The God of nature and nature’s God? As a result: A Christian, Sir Francis Bacon, formulated the scientific method believing in these propositions.

No comments:

Post a Comment