About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ethics Part 3

God does not call us to success but to faithfulness, according to Mother Teresa of Calcutta, now canonized and Nobel Prize winner. Jeremiah 45:5 says: "Do you seek great things for yourself? Seek them not." The Bible condemns "selfish ambition" and doesn't condone complacency. Mediocrity is not good! "Good enough for government work" is the wrong attitude. For example, changing tires doesn't define you, but doing a good job does.

Everyone has a niche or a calling from God (cf. John 3:27, NLT), whether homemaker or president and is judged only by his faithfulness to his own calling. It is not for us to compare ministries, or gifts (cf. 2 Cor. 10:12). God is more interested in what we are in a character, not as much as what we do (for a living.) I'm sick of being asked what I do for a living because God has given me a calling that cannot be defined in human terms. Only deeds done to the glory of God in the power of the Holy Spirit are to be rewarded.

Whatever our hands find to do we should do with all our might, the Preacher says in Eccl. 9:10. We should be 'redeeming the time because the days are evil" (i.e., making the most of every opportunity). We are a people created to be "zealous of good works." Col. 1:10 says we should be "bearing fruit in every good work" and thus we "increase in the knowledge of God." We all should hope to find a "labor of love" to complete God's will. We may retire from our jobs, but never from God's service!

Hag. 2:4 says, "Work, for I am with you." God is with us even in our labor--they can become a "labor of love"!    Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment