About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Work Ethics Part 2

The Protestant work ethic has a long history. St. Francis of Assisi was asked that if he were to die in 30 minutes what would he do. He was the gardener in the monastery and said simply, "Finish this row." (He was really ready to die, now wasn't he?)   Work is part of our being in the image and likeness of God. We feel compelled to accomplish something and feel pride in what we do. Work connects us to the world and you might say we are "hard-wired" (according to Chuck Colson) for work. "Lack of stimulating work is debilitating."

During the time of Paul's writing, there were perhaps as many as 60 million slaves in the world and work was considered a curse and only slaves should do manual labor, while the elite philosophizes, etc. Martin Luther brought honor to work by saying that all work can be done to the glory of God. During the formative years of Jamestown in 1607, Captain John Smith quoted Paul in 2 Thess. and said, "If you will [are not willing to] not work, neither shall you eat." You've heard of the 'idle rich," but those who wear themselves out to get rich are just as wrong. Theodore Roosevelt said, "There has never yet been a man who led a life of ease whose name was worth remembering."

Everyone needs a purpose in life higher than himself. As Rick Warren says, "It's not about you." Dr. Carl F. H. Henry said, "We are creatures made for work and not for idleness." A job doesn't necessarily define us, but doing a good job does. I am sure that there is work in Heaven, too. This life is just a "dress rehearsal" for eternity according to Rick Warren, and I believe we are being prepared for something much bigger.  We are striking a note on a chord that will resonate for eternity.  In a sense, our workbench is our altar where we worship God, do all to the glory of God--Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment