About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Saturday, September 19, 2020

What Is the Nature Of Salvation?

 

What is the nature of salvation?

It is in three tenses: we are saved from the penalty of sin by the death of Christ; we are being saved from the power of sin by the living Christ; we will be saved from the presence of sin by the coming Christ. Salvation began in eternity past, is realized in time, and looks forward to completion in heaven. Salvation is completely by grace from beginning to end; we do not deserve it, cannot pay it back, and do not earn it. God initiated our salvation as the Hound of heaven; we never would have sought it on our own. The whole Trinity took part: the Father purposed it; the Son secured it; the Spirit applied it.

The nature of salvation itself is that it is more than forgiveness but also deliverance and regeneration or a new life: we are saved from sin, ourselves, hell, and God’s wrath. Our past is forgiven, our present is given meaning, and our future is secured. Salvation itself means a rescue from a threat and we are warned of the coming wrath. There are many perks such as knowing God as our Father; being a joint-heir of Christ as a child of God.

Salvation is a done deal, a work of God on our behalf whereby He regenerates our spirits and gives us a new slate and beginning by reviving us and quickening faith within us. God’s grace is the source, Christ is the means, and faith is the channel or instrument. We are saved by grace through faith in Christ. We are thus saved by grace alone without merit nor works but through an act of faith given by God. It is given not achieved! It is, therefore, not: Jesus plus good works but good works because of Jesus, or, Jesus, therefore, good works.

No comments:

Post a Comment