About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Does God Exist, And If So, Have You Ever Seen Him?

 What evidence do you have that He doesn’t exist? Objections to Christian conduct or church history are not enough to debunk Christianity. Christians make mistakes and the church has learned from its mistakes. There are multitudinous arguments for the existence of God that are philosophical, scientific, historical, and literary. Books and volumes have been written and philosophers have dabbled in the subject including Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle who all believed in Him. I will not even attempt to go there because no one can prove His existence beyond a shadow of a doubt.

But no one can disprove God either. Philosophically you cannot prove a universal negative. It takes faith both ways and both believers and naysayers are people of faith. To place your faith in science is also faith. To say that you only believe what science can prove is foolish and cannot be proved as a valid option even scientifically because that itself is a truth claim and made in faith. No amount of evidence will convince a person to believe who doesn’t want to believe. There is no “smoking gun” evidence either way! So we must have faith.

The existence of God according to God (per the Bible) is self-evident and there’s enough evidence in nature to convince anyone but a fool. God says that no one has an excuse and will be judged according to the God they did know. The problem is not intellectual but in the heart of man that is stubborn and rebellious against God. The heart of the matter is that it’s a matter of the heart then!

Now whether I’ve seen Him. That’s why God sent Jesus to show us Himself. The Bible says no one has seen Him but to see Jesus is the same as seeing God. Jesus came to show us, God, in the flesh as His Son. He is the express image and likeness of God—His icon. All of the fulness of deity dwells in Christ. The disciples asked to see God and Jesus told they have seen Him because He is God. We believe in many things we don’t see but we see their effects: air, electricity, thoughts, love, etc.. People who are blind often “see” better than those who are not.

We have spiritual eyes and God can open them to see Jesus in the Bible on every page in every book in every theme through many of its characters. God opens our hearts to believe and helps us to see spiritually. I do not believe in the wind because I can see it but because I see its effects and what it’s doing. If I don’t look at the sun, I can still believe in it because I can see everything else. God is light and dwells in unapproachable light that no man is capable of beholding. We do not see light but its effect: colors. God is spirit and spirit is unseen. God is also love and love isn’t seen either but is felt and experienced. We can taste God with our emotions, for God challenges us: “Taste and see that the LORD is good.” You see, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment