About Me

My photo
I am a born-again Christian, who is Reformed, but also charismatic, spiritually speaking. (I do not speak in tongues, but I believe glossalalia is a bona fide gift not given to all, and not as great as prophecy, for example.) I have several years of college education but only completed a two-year degree. I was raised Lutheran and confirmed, but I didn't "find Christ" until I was in the Army and responded to a Billy Graham crusade in 1973. I was mentored or discipled by the Navigators in the army and upon discharge joined several evangelical, Bible-teaching churches. I was baptized as an infant, but believe in believer baptism, of which I was a partaker after my conversion experience. I believe in the "5 Onlys" of the reformation: sola fide (faith alone); sola Scriptura (Scripture alone); soli Christo (Christ alone), sola gratia (grace alone), and soli Deo gloria (to God alone be the glory). I affirm TULIP as defended in the Reformation.. I affirm most of The Westminster Confession of Faith, especially pertaining to Providence.

Saturday, April 24, 2021

Isn't Suffering A Bad Way For God To Show Love?

 


God never promised heaven on earth—a bed of roses or easy life. Earth is a trial or staging area for eternity—a test. We are preparing for our rewards. At the Bema or Judgment Seat of Christ, we will see the glory of God and be rewarded and enter into the joy of the LORD. (cf. 1 Cor. 3:15). We only grow in character through adversity, not the good times. Jesus was honest enough to warn us that following Him would entail suffering and He didn't even make Himself immune or exempt from it. But our crosses pale in comparison to His. As a test of faith, we must take up our crosses and follow Him. (cf. Luke 9:23).

“Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all.” (cf. Psalm 34:19). “Through many tribulations, we enter the kingdom of God.” (cf. Acts 14:22). He doesn’t expect anything of us that He didn't endure. “In the world, you will have tribulation, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” (cf. John 16: 33). An easy faith is no faith at all; only where it is difficult is it worthy.

Life isn't all pain and suffering, I think that’s an exaggeration, but contains trials and tribulations: Job said, “When He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold.” (cf. Job 23:10). Life is not extremely difficult, if we walk with Christ, but supposed to be victorious over the world and Satan and experience a “more abundant life,” (cf. John 10;10). We must learn to walk in faith. “The just shall live by faith.” (cf. Romans 1:17).

“We walk by faith, not by sight.” (cf. 2 Cor. 5:7). Jesus came to give us a “more abundant life and if this is in your experience, you are doing something wrong and shouldn't blame God for your suffering. Much suffering is due to divine discipline and one‘s sin and disobedience or lack of faith. “As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten, be zealous therefore and repent,” (cf. Rev. 3:19). “Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep Your Word” (cf. Psalm 119:67).  Soli Deo Gloria! 

No comments:

Post a Comment